Skip to main content

Full text of "North Carolina at Gettysburg"

See other formats

North Carolina State Libpary 


Photos of North Carolina Monument by Bob Jones 


Published by the North Carolina 
Confederate Centennial Commission 
on the occasion of the rededication 
of the North Carolina Monument at 
Gettysburg National Military Park, 
July 1, 1963. 

"The man in front must be thoughtful and 
conscious of his danger and determined. The 
one just back of him, the hoy, will express 
an amazement, fear~a little— but surprise 
and youth more; the man next to him . . , I 
will give an expression of anger, a slightly 
'snarling grin,' Of course the boy back of 
him, with the flag, is too much occupied 
with the load he is carrying and its im- 
portance to be anxious about anything but 
getting forward," 

— Gutzon Bar glum 



In 1927 the General Assembly of North Carolina 
appropriated $50,000 for the erection of a monument 
to the North Carolina troops at Gettysburg. The 
North Carolina Gettysburg Memorial Commission, 
consisting of members of the United Daughters of 
the Confederacy and the Confederate Veterans, was 
established- to supervise the project; and Gutzon 
Borglum, who had previously done statues of North 
Carolinians Henry Lawson Wyatt, Zebulon B. Vance 
and William B. Aycock, was commissioned to do the 

Born in Idaho in 1867, Borglum was a painter, 
sculptor, engineer and, above all, a patriot. 
Passionately devoted to America's ideals and 
traditions, he sought to memoralize them in stone 
and bronze. In the North Carolina monument he 
strove not so much to depict men, or even a state, 
but to express the universal ideals of courage and 
honor. None who have seai Borglum 's five giants 
at Gettysburg can doubt that he succeeded. 

The North Carolina monument was dedicated at 
Gettysburg on July 3, 1929. Hundreds of Tarheels 
came by special train to witness the unveiling. 
Governor O. Max Gardner (1929-1933) presided at 
the dedication ceremonies; and .former Governor 
Angus W. McLean (1925-1929), a personal friend 
of the sculptor, made the principal address. Ac- 
cepting the monument on behalf of the Secretary of 
War was Brigadier General B.F. Cheatham. 

A year after the unveiling, a visitor to Gettys- 
burg, C.W. McDevett, wrote in the Raleigh News and 
Observer that he saw larger groups around the 
Borglum monument than around any other statue on 
the field. "All gazed into those faces of bronze — , " 

he wrote, "faces that seemed filled with life— and 
paid tribute to the likenesses of men— strong, 
purposeful, clean-limbed men— who had been their 
fathers' and their grandfathers' foes. Borglum had 
imagined them worthy foemen, indeed, and his 
genius had made his hands the servant of his 

Some will say the sculptor's carving of the 
four presidents on Mount Rushmore was his greatest 
work or that his Wars of America Memorial in 
Newark, New Jersey, was his best. But North 
Carolinians will concur with Mr. McDevett and, like 
him, say, "Borglum will never carve anything to 
equal his Tar Heel heroes at Gettysburg." 

OVERLEAF - The North Carolina Monument as 
it appeared after Its unveiling July 3, 1929. The 
children, all-descendants of Confederate soldiers, 
took port in the program. 







",- -i.-. 



July 1, 1963, 4:30 p.m. 

Band Concert Twenty- sixth North Carolina Regimental Band 

Invocation Dr. Donald Heiges , 

President, Lutheran Seminary 
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 

Introduction of Guests Norman C. Larson 

Executive Secretary, The North Carolina 
Confederate Centennial Commission 

Presentation of Battle Flags Sixth North Carolina Regiment 

Introduction of Speaker Mrs. O. Max Gardner 

Shelby, North Carolina 

Rededication Address Hon. Hector MacLean 

State Senator, Robeson County 

Civil War Medley South Rowan High School Band 

Charles Driver, Director 

Benediction Dr. Donald Heige 


The Twenty-sixth Regimental Band of 

yesterday . . , 

. . . and three members of today's band. They 
are (left to right) cornettists Paul Morris, Pete 
Blum and Sam Fort. 


When the Twenty-sixth Regimental Band plays, 
listeners are transported into the past— to an era 
when war was still a gentleman's game and bands, 
as important to the game as ammunition. Uniformed 
in Confederate gray, playing instruments of the 
1860 period, and sporting whiskers and sideburns, 
members of the Band present a colorful picture as 
they play the quicksteps and marches dear to the 
hearts of their ancestors. 

The nineteen-member Band traces its beginnings 
back as far as 1772 when the Moravian community 
of Salem, North Carolina, Required its first set of 
trombones. The Salem Band's evolution from 
ecclesiastical wind choir to military band was a 
gradual one, but by the 1830's the organization had 

become almost completely secular in nature. 

Influenced largely by the spirit of their own 
music, the musicians were quick to respond to the 
rising tide of war sentiment engendered by the 
firing on Fort Sumter. In March, 1862, the Salem 
Band cast their lot with the famous Twenty-sixth 
North Carolina Regiment, then commanded by 
Zebulon B. Vance, soon to become governor. 

They served first in eastern North Carolina 
and subsequently followed the Twenty-sixth Reg- 
iment to many of the major battlefields of the 
Civil War. Medics as well as musicians, the bands- 
men cared for the wounded on the fields and in 
the hospitals. They served in this capacity at 
Gettysburg where their own regiment lost in killed 
and wounded over three-fourths of its men. 

Outstanding at Gettysburg and throughout the 
Civil War, and a major contributor to the musical 
life of 18th Century America, the Salem Band is a 
venerable and highly unique ensemble. It is not 
only the second oldest continuing musical organiza- 
tion in the United States, but is as well "the oldest 
continuing mixed wind ensemble or band in this 

*Harry H. Hall, A Johnny Reb Band from Salem: 
The Pride of T ar he e I ia, (Raleigh: The North Carolina 
Confederate Centennial Commission, 1963), 2. 


Early in its career, the Sixth North Carolina 
Regiment, organized in 1861, was sent to the tiny 
railroad hamlet of Company Shops for training. 
There, under Colonel Charles F. Fisher, President 
of the North Carolina Railroad Company, farmers, 
railroad men, teachers and artisans were molded 
into the fighting unit that became famous at Ma- 
nassas, Seven Pines and Gettysburg. 

Today Company Shops no longer exists; it has 
been replaced by the progressive textile community 
of Burlington, North Carolina. The men of the 
fighting Sixth, too, have passed on. But there is in 
their stead a new regiment— the reactivated Sixth 
North Carolina commanded by Burlington hosiery 
manufacturer Colonel W. Cliff Elder. 

This new Sixth Regiment was organized by ^the 
Alamance County Confederate Centennial Com- 
mittee to participate in the re-enactraent of the 
Battle of Wanassas in July, 1961. There, re-creating 
the famous charge by the Sixth on Rickett's and 
Griffin's batteries, the Regiment gave a performance 
which won the plaudits of all who witnessed it. 

After the Manassas re-enactment, the original 
roster of 100 men grew to 130, and late in 1961 the 
ranks were again swelled by the formation of a 
new company, Company B. Composed of fourteen 
and fifteen year olds, Company B operates apart 
from the parent Regiment, its members joining the 
ranks of the Sixth as vacancies occur. 

Under Colonel Elder, "authenticity" has 
become the watchword of the unit. All members of 
the Sixth carry weapons of the type used by Confed- 
erates, and all are uniformed and accoutered like 
their Civil War predecessors. Drilled according to 
Hardee's Tactics, the standard infantry manual of 
the 1860's, the Regiment is frequently called upon 
to give military exhibitions and mock skirmishes 
and to participate in parades and centennial com- 

The Sixth North Carolina Regiment at the Re- 
enactment of the Battle of First Manassas, 
July 21, 1961. 



The South Rowan Senior High School, located 
between Landis and China Grove, North Carolina, 
was opened in 1960 as a consolidation of the 
Landis and China Grove High Schools. The "Rebel" 
Band was organized during that first year and 
marched in their black, red, and white uniforms at 
the first home football game. 

Charles Driver was named director of the South 
Rowan Band and conducted it in the performance 
which won a rating of "Excellent" at the State 
Band Contest in 1960. A student of Captain James 
C. Harper, nationally known bandmaster, Driver 
was a member of the U.S. Navy Concert Band during 
his six years in the service. 

Highlighting the second year of the Band's 
existence was the invitation it received to play 
for Vice-President Lyndon Johnson when he came 
to Salisbury during the 1962 congressional campaign. 

In 1963 the Band, again winner of an "Ex- 
cellent" rating in the State Band Contest, was 
invited to participate in the 100th anniversary 
commemoration of the Battle of Gettysburg. The 
South Rowan "Rebel" Band was the only high 
school band in the state to receive such an invita- 

The South Rowan Senior High School 



by Norman C. Larson 

The story of North Carolina at Gettysburg is one 
of dedication and bravery. It is also one of 
frustration, heartbreak and sorrow. To tell this story 
in detail, and as it should be told, is virtually 
impossible in this limited space. There are, how- 
ever, certain moments which stand out above all 
others, and it is with these that we now concern 

In all, some forty-one North Carolina units took 
part in this great, three-day battle fought on the 1st, 
2nd and 3rd of July, 1863. Called by many "The 
High Tide of the Confederacy," the battle stands as 
one of the greatest bloodbaths in American history. 
For North Carolina it was an extremely costly 
engagement. Of the total Confederate casualties, 
approximately one-fifth were from the Old North 
State; and of this number, almost 1,000 made the 
supreme sacrifice. 

Essentially, the battle was brought on by 
Tarheels when, on the 30th of June, the brigade of 
General James Johnston Pettigrew, on a quest for 
shoes, approached the quiet Pennsylvania borough 

of Gettysburg. Nearing its outskirts, Pettigrew's 
men encountered various elements of General John 
Buford's Federal cavalry. Under orders not to engage 
in a major contest, the Carolinian withdrew his 
small force and retired to a point several miles 
from town on the west bank of Marsh Creek. Contact 
had been made, however, and the sanguinary battle 
was destined to follow. 


On the morning of July 1, Pettigrew's North 
Carolinians, with the division of General Henry 
Heth, took up the march to Gettysburg. Again 
the objective was the acquisition oi badly needed 
footwear, but this time the quest would be in 
force—more than shoes would be found in Gettys- 
burg! As Heth's Division, closely followed by the 
division of William Dorsey Pender, neared the 
town, contact was made with advance units of 
Buford's cavalry. The battle was on. 

First to engage were the brigades of General 
James J. Archer and General Joseph Davis. With 
Davis was the Fifty-fifth North Carolina, commanded 
by Colonel J.K. Connally. During the ensuing action 
along Willoughby Run and McPherson's Ridge, 
both brigades suffered extremely high casualties 
and were withdrawn from the field in a greatly 
decimated condition. The Fifty-fifth acquitted 
itself well and, until caught in a fierce enfilade 
fire, seemed to be having its own way with the 

Next, it fell to the brigade of Johnston Pettigrew 
to assume the offensive. This time the Confederates 
were more successful; and after a fierce and bloody 
struggle, the opposing Federal line, consisting of 
the famous "Iron Brigade," was driven from its 
position on McPherson's Ridge back to the vicinity 
of the Lutheran Seminary which stands just west of 

Pettigrew's weary men sank to the bloody ground 
in complete exhaustion while officers evaluated 
losses. Of 800 effectives at the beginning of the 


action, the Twenty-sixth North Carolina could now 
muster only 216. Many of its officers were killed 
or wounded, among them Colonel Henry King 
Burgwyn, scarcely twenty-one years old. 

Others in Pettigrew's Brigade members of the 
Eleventh, Forty-seventh and Fifty-second North 
Carolina Regiments— had fared almost as badly as 
the Twenty-sixth, but the objective had been taken, 
the vital ground won; and once again, as so often 
in the past, the boys from the Old North State had 
come through for the Confederacy. 

After the assault by the Carolinians on Mc- 
pherson's Ridge, there came another and equally 
ferocious attack on the new Federal position along 
Seminary Hill and Ridge. This time it was William 
Dorsey Pender, in command of A. P. Hill's old 
Light Division, who led the way. Pender was the 
highest ranking Carolinian on the field, and his 
fatal wounding on the second day at Gettysburg 
was for the Confederates one of the most tragic 
occurrences of the battle. Pender led his men into 
action with a rush. Over the exhausted remnants 
of Pettigrew's Brigade went the Tarheels of 
Generals James H. Lane and Alfred M. Scales. 
Slowly at first, the Federal defenders were pushed 
back from their position, and then in complete and 
utter rout they were driven through Gettysburg. 
Again the Carolinians had proved their worth. 

While this heavy fighting was transpiring in 
the McPnerson and Seminary Ridge area, another 
and equally savage engagement had developed to 
the north and northeast of town. Robert Rodes and 
Jubal Early's Divisions had now moved up and 
taken their place in line of battle. With the position- 

ing of Hoke's Brigade, under Colonel Isaac Avery, 
on the extreme left across the Harrisburg Road, the 
Confederate line was solidified and extended for 
several miles. To the right of its center were the 
brigades of Alfred Iverson, Junius Daniels and 
Dodson Ramseur. Of these, Iverson's Brigade was 
engaged first. As the gallant Carolinians pressed 
forward they were greeted by a solid wall of Federal 
musketry. When the smoke had cleared, 500 Tarheels 
lay dead. So perfect was their alignment, that the 
scene presented an image of soldiers on parade. 

Following Iverson's repulse, the brigades of 
Ramseur and Daniels— North Carolinians all— were 
ordered forward by General Rodes. To their left 
and on the Federal right, Early's Division, with 
Hoke's vaunted North 'Carolina brigade, was thrown 
into the engagement. For the first time that day the 
attack by the Confederates was in concert. On the 
left, in the center and to the right the Confederate 
force surged ahead. Within a short while the fighting 
of the first day had ended. The rout of two Federal 
army corps had been effected, and total victory was 
at hand for the Confederates. 

The victory, however, was not to be. The 
staggering success of the day was not followed 
up, and strategic positions— as they would soon 
prove to be— such as Cemetery Hill, Culp's Hill and 
Cemetery Ridge were literally handed to the 

During the evening of July 1, additicial troops, 
both Federal and Confederate, were moved into the 
area. The Federal line was extended from Culp's 
and Cemetery Hills to Little Roundtop, and the 
stage was set for the action of the 2nd and 3rd of 



Fighting was scant on the morning of the 2nd, 
the majority of time being spent in disposition of 
troops. The battle was not to resume its inten- 
sity until late in the afternoon when Confederates 
under General James Longstreet launched an 
assault in the Roundtop area. The fighting was 
fierce and sanguinary and raged about and upon 
Big and Little Roundtop, in the Devil's Den, 
Peach Orchard and in the Wheat Field. With the 
exception of three batteries of artillery, few 
North Carolinians were engaged in this action. 
Tarheel fighting was yet to come. 

General Lee's strategy had called for an attack 
en echelon to begin at the extreme left of the Union 
line. As the fighting progressed up Cemetery Ridge, 
another assault was to be made on the extreme 
Union right at Cemetery Hill. Unfortunately, this 
attack was late in coming and, instead of beginning 
at an early hour, it was not launched until approx- 
imately 7:00 p.m. By this time the fight on the 
Ridge had virtually subsided, and the effect of 
confusion that Lee had hoped would come of the 
Cemetery Hill attack was not forthcoming. Neverthe- 
less, the assault on East Cemetery Hill was one 
of the most daring and soldierly actions of the 
entire three days' battle; and had the proper sup- 
port been given to the assault forces, the course of 
battle might well have been chang'ed. 

After wearily awaiting the signal to launch 
their offensive, Hoke's Brigade of Carolinians 
and H^ys' Louisiana Brigade, both of Early's 
Division, finally heard the bugle's call to action. 
Eagerly springing to their feet, the Tarheels and 

Tigers moved out. Their advance was immediately 
greeted by an intense barrage of Federal artillery, 
which inflicted heavy casualties. But nothing could 
stop them now. On they went, over fences and 
across open fields, until the first line of Federal 
defense was reached. The momentum of their charge 
carried them up and over the stone wall behind which 
Union soldiers had taken cover. The Federal line 
crumpled and was swept before the determined 
Southerners. A second line was breached, and 
finally the gallant band of Confederates stood 
atop Cemetery Hill, key to the entire Federal line. 
But the victorious assailants were offered no 
support, and the ground for which they had fought 
so desperately would soon be returned to a counter- 
attacking enemy. 

In command of Hoke's Brigade at the outset of 
the Cemetery Hill engagement was Colonel Isaac E. 
Avery, of the fighting Sixth North Carolina. Given 
the responsibility of a brigadier general, Avery 
valiantly led his own Sixth, commanded by Samuel 
McDowell Tate, as well as the Twenty-first and 
Fifty-seventh North Carolina, in fhe charge. In the 
thick of the fighting, Avery was mortally wounded 
as his men pierced the first line of defense. As his 
life ebbed and his gallant soldiers swept past 
him and up Cemetery Hill, Avery found time to 
write a message which, in essence, has become 
the story of North Carolina at Gettysburg. Penned 
on bloodstained paper, the story is simply, "Major, 
"tell my father I fell with my face to the enemy." 

As the battle on East Cemetery Hill was being 
fought, another was unfolding to the left on Culp's 
Hill. Here the division of General Edward Johnson 
had also gone into action. Effecting a lodgement at 
the base of trhe hill, the Confederates seemed to 


be once again in position to bring about a decisive 
victory; but with the advent of darkness, the 
fighting was halted. With Johnson, in Steuart's 
Brigade, were the First and Third North Carolina 

During the night Lee drew up his plan of battle 
for the following day. Realizing that success had 
been within his grasp on both the 1st and 2nd, and 
assuming that the center of the Federal line had 
been weakened from the fierce attack of the day, 
he determined to launch a full-scale frontal assault. 

The attack was to begin with a diversionary 
assault in the early hours of morning on the extreme 
Union right at Gulp's Hill. This action would be 
conducted by General Johnson, supported by 
additional troops from Rodes' Division. As this 
fighting unfolded, General Longstreet would 
launch an offensive against the Union center which 
would crush the enemy opposition. 


For many at Gettysburg the morning of July 3 
came earlier than was expected. At approximately 
4:00 a.m. Federal artillery seized the initiative 
from Lee. A fierce cannonade was laid down upon 
the Confederates entrenched about the base of 
Culp's Hill. Attack followed attack, and for seven 
hours the fighting raged. Ammunition expended, 
men of the Third North Carolina searched the 
bodies of dead and dying comrades for bullets, 
found t!iem, and once again sprung to the task at 
hand. Finally at 11:00 a.m., almost as if by mutual 
agreement, the fighting came to an end. The first 
scene in the final act of the drama of Gettysburg 
had ended. 

Now the final curtain was ready to be raised. 
The players had lain in wait all morning listening to 
the rumble of artillery and staccato bark of muskets. 
Along Seminary Ridge and along Cemetery Ridge 
Confederates and Federals alike had tended to 
equipment, cleaned their weapons and done the 
hundreds of other little chores so familiar to soldiers 
awaiting battle. 

At approximately 1:00 p.m. the Confederate 
signal guns were fired— first one, and then in a few 
moments, a second. Their rough barking signaled the 
advent of one of the most intense cannonades in 
history. On the Confederate side, all along Seminary 
Ridge, more than a hundred big guns opened up. For 
almost two hours they belched death and destruction. 

Along Cemetery Ridge, from Little Round Top 
to Cemetery Hill, the Federal gunners replied in 
kind. At last, the Federal firing seemed to slacken. 
The order to advance was given, and forty-one 
Confederate fighting units began their famous 

Commanded by General James Longstreet, the 
attacking force was made up of the divisions of 
General George Pickett, newly arrived on the field, 
and General James Johnston Pettigrew, who now 
commanded Henry Heth's Division. Pender's demi- 
division, commanded by General Isaac Trimble, com- 
posed the rest of the assault force. 

Nineteen of the regiments were from Virginia; 
fifteen, from North Carolina; three, from Mississippi; 
two, from Tennessee; and one regiment and one 
battalion were from Alabama. 



The men of Pickett's Division, on the Confed- 
erate right, move out first. Pettigrew's men 
advance on the left, and as they burst from the 
woods along Seminary Ridge and join up with 
Pickett's men they present a solid front extending 
for almost a mile. Immediately behind Pettigrew is 
Trimble and his Carolinians. 

Now Federal artillery opens firoi-the big guns 
have not been silenced with solid shot at first, 
then explosive shell and finally, as the Confederate 
infantry nears the Federal line, with grape and 
cannister, double-loaded. The toll is heavy as the 
Confederates cross the open field. Soldier after 
soldier slumps to the ground, only to have his 
place filled by someone from the rear. 

The Confederate left is caught in an enfilade 
fire. Brokenbrough's Virginians and Davis' Mis- 
sissippians falter, then press forward. On the 
right, Pickett's Virginians are equally hard pressed. 
General Kemper is hit, then General Garnett. Now 
Armistead and a handful of his men are over the 
stone wall. Sword in hand, the gallant General is 
struck and falls to the ground mortally wounded. 

The struggle now is extremely fierce; combat 
is hand to hand, toe to toe. Now Pettigrew's men 
are closing fast. As they near the stone wall they 
let out a shout and break into a run. Colonel Fry, 
commanding General Archer's Tennessee and 
Alabama troops, hits the wall at the angle it makes 
as it turns abruptly eastward. To his left Pettigrew's 
men surge forward. Now Trimble's men come up 
from their rear position and join in the affray. 

As they surge ahead someone shouts, "Three cheers 
for the Old North State!" Trimble falls, seriously 
wounded. Pettigrew is wounded. Colonel J.K. 
Marshall, in command of Pettigrew's Brigade, is 
hit. For a short while the battle rages. 

Now General Lane, whose men have reached 
the stone wall some eighty yards behind Fry's and 
Armistead's point of contact, attempts to shift his 
men to the left to meet an attack on his flank. He 
sees that the entire Confederate left has given 
way. He looks to his right— Pickett's men have also 
disappeared. Lane with his handful of men and a 
few from Scales' Brigade are all that remain on the 
field. The situation is hopeless and the General 
prudently orders his men to withdraw. Slowly they 
fall back, and with them goes the hope of the 
Confederacy for a decisive victory at Gettysburg. 

The Battle of Gettysburg ended with that final, 
gallant charge. The war continued for two more 
lengthy and bloody years, but for all practical 
purposes the High Tide of the Confederacy had been 
reached and its doom sealed. 

In all phases of the battle North Carolinians, 
along with their comrades in arms, fought with a 
valor and gallantry seldom displayed by any fighting 
force. Their story is one of which we in this 
twenuetn ceniury can be justifiably proud, and 
one to which we can turn for a never-ending source 
of inspiration. 



ISAAC ERWIN AVERY was born at 
"Swan Ponds" in Burke County, 
North Carolina, December 20, 1828. 
Upon graduation from the University 
of North Carolina, he became 
supervisor of a large stock farm and 
later, contractor on the Western North 
Carolina Railroad. When war broke 
out, he helped raise a company for 

the Sixth Regiment; and after the 
Battle of Seven Pines, he was 
promoted lieutenant colonel. In 
command of Hoke's former brigade at 
Gettysburg, he led the unit in its 
assault upon Cemetery Hill late 
in the afternoon of the second day. 
In this action he was mortally 
wounded and died after writing the 
immortal message: "Major, tell my 
father I fell with my face to the 


born in Anson County on JunS 18, 
1840. At the age of sixteen he 

entered the University of North 
Carolina but,* strongly opposed 
to hazing, left soon after enrolling. 
After traveling through the West, 
Bennett attended Davidson College 
and Cumberland University, Lebanon, 
Tennessee, where he studied law. 
His law practice interrupted by the 
war, Bennett enlisted in the 
Confederate army as a private in the 
Anson Guards. His competency soon 
won him the rank of corporal and 
then, in 1862, that of colonel. He was 
wounded at Sharpsburg and at Gettys- 
burg and finally, at Winchester, was 
captured. Paroled in 1864, he re- 
newed his law practice. In 1872 he 
was elected to the North Carolina 
House of Representatives and in 
1880 became a judge of the Superior 
Court. Elected congressman from 
North Carolina in 1882, Bennett 
served in the Forty-eighth Congress 
and in the Forty-ninth. Death came 
to the soldier-jurist on July 21, 1913. 


wealthy planter, was born in 
Massachusetts in 1841. He received 
an appointment to West Point but 
after matriculating was found to be 
underage. Enrolling as a special 
student at the University of North 
Carolina, he graduated from there 
in 1859 at the age of eighteen. Sub- 
sequently he studied at Virginia 
Military Institute. At the beginning 
of the war, Burgwyn was major in 
command of Camp Crabtree, a camp 
of instruction outside Raleigh. When 
the Twenty-sixth Regiment was 
formed there, he was elected its 


lieutenant colonel, later becoming 
colonel when Zeb Vance was elected 
governor. On the first day at 
Gettysburg, leading his men in an 
attack on the famous Iron Brigade, 
the twenty-one year old colonel was 
struck by a bullet and killed. His 
body was buried beneath a walnut 
tree on the field . 

JUNIUS DANIEL was born at Halifax, 
North Carolina, on June 27, 1828. A 
graduate of West Point, he served 
seven years in the U.S. Army before 
joining the Confederate service. He 
was elected colonel of the Fourteenth 

North Carolina Infantry in 1861 ana 
led them in the Seven Days battles. 
In 1862 he was promoted brigadier 
general. On the first day at Gettys- 
burg his command, which was as- 
signed to Rodes' Division, suffered 
heavier losses than any other 
brigade in the crops, and Daniels 
himself performed gallantly. On May 
12, 1864, at the "Bloody Angle" of 
Spotsylvania Court House, Daniel 
was mortally wounded while trying 
to recapture the Confederate works 
"at the tip of the mule shoe." He 
died the following day. 

BRYAN GBIMES was born November 

2, 1828, at "Grimesland" in Pitt 
County. He studied law at the 
University of North Carolina, 
graduating in 1848. A member of the 
secession convention of 1861, he 
resigned to '_ecome major of the 
Fourth North Carolina Regiment. In 
1862 Grimes was promoted colonel 

and eventually rose to brigadier and 
major general. His commission as 
major general was the last such 
appointment made in Lee's army. 
Colonel Grimes was at Seven Pines, 
where every officer in the Fourth 
except himself was either killed or 
wounded, and at Antietam, where 
the second of no less than seven 

horses was shot from under him. 
At Appomattox he led one of the last 
attacks of the war; and with the 
signing of the surrender, he returned 
to his North Carolina plantation. On 
August 14, 1880, his fabled luck ran 
out. Returning from a trip to Wash- 
ington, North Carolina, he was shot 
and killed by an assassin 


native of Lincoln County, North 
Carolina, was born March 19, 1837. 
Following graduation from the Uni- 


vprsity of North Carolina, he studied 
law at the University of Virginia and 
was admitted to the North Carolina 
bar. He entered the service of the 
Confederacy as captain of Company 
K, Twenty-third North Carolina 
Infantry, and was promoted lieu- 
tenant colonel in May, 1862. He was 
wounded at Seven Pines and again 
at Spotsylvania. After gallant service 
at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, 
he was commissioned brigadier gen- 
eral. During the latter part of the 
war. General Johnston was at 
Petersburg and along the Roanoke 
River line. His postwar career 
included a law practice at Charlotte, 
North Carolina, the presidency of the 
Birmingham, Alabama, National 
Bank and work in the U.S. Land 


born in Kenansville, North Carolina, 
in 1838. After graduation from the 
University of North Carolina, he 
studied law, beginning his practice 
in 1860. In 1861 he became a captain 
in the military company known as the 
Duplin Rifles, which was assigned 
to the First, or Bethel Regiment. 
Later the company was reorganized 
and assigned to the Forty-third 
Regiment, and Kenan became a 
lieutenant colonel. At Gettysburg he 
participated in the Seminary Ridge 
fighting on the first day, and on the 
third day he took part in the Culp's 
Hill assault. He was severely 
wounded while leading a charge. As 
Kenan was being taken to the rear, 
he was captured and not released 

until March, 1865. After the war he 
served as Attorney-General of North 
Carolina for eight years. 


born at "Ayrmont" in Hillsboro, 
North Carolina, February 13, 1833. 
An officer in the U.S. Marine Corps 
from 1855 to 1860, he resigned his 
commission at the outbreak of the 
war. He was elected colonel of the 
Twenty-first North Carolina Infantry 
in 1861 and led them at First 
Manassas and in Jackson's Valley 


■»' ^ 


Campaign of 1862. After recuperating 
from a severe wound received at 
Winchester, he rejoined his regiment 
during the invasion of Pennsylvania 
and fought gallantly at Gettysburg 
and at Bristoe Station. His promotion 
to brigadier general dates from 
August 29, 1863 Returning to North 
Carolina in 1864, he was at Fort 
Fisher and at Bentonville. Af»er the 
war General Kirkland settled in 
Savannah and later moved to New 
York. His last years were spent 
in a soldiers' home in Washington, 


educated in Virginia, was professor 
of natural philosophy and instructor 
in military tactics at North Carolina 
Military Institute at the outbreak of 
the Civil War. Elected major of the 
F'irst North Carolina Volunteers, or 
Bethel Regiment, in 1861, he later 
became colonel of the Twenty-eighth 
North Carolina when the Volunteers 
were reorganized into regiments. 
He led his regiment at Second 
Manassas and succeeded to the 
command of Branch's Brigade at 
Antietam. His promotion to brigadier 
dates from November 1, 1862. At 

Gettysburg Lane's Brigade partic- 
ipated in the first and third uiy's 
action, losing in killed and wounded 
almost fifty per cent of its men. 
After the war. Lane returned to 
teaching in private schools in 
Virginia and North Carolina. Later 
he was associated with Virginia 
Polytechnic Institute, the Missouri 
School of Mines and Alabama 
Polytechnic Institute. He died in 
1907 in Auburn, Alabama. 


captain in the British Army before 
emigi;ating to the United States and 

settling in western North Carolina. 
Casting his lot with his adopted 
state, he became colonel of the 
Thirty-fourth Regiment in 1861. In 
April of 1862 he was elected colonel 
of the Eleventh North Carolina 
Regiment, a unit which the Inspector- 
General of the Confederate army 
termed "the best drilled, best 
equipped and best armed regiment 
in the Army of Northern Virginia." 
Having served mainly in North 
Carolina in the early part of the war, 
Leventhorpe participated in the 
Battle of Gettysburg when his 
regiment joined the Army of Northern 
Virginia. Wounded and captured in 
that battle, he was e.xchanged nine 
months later. He was appointed a 
brigadier general of North Carolina 
troops but declined a later appoint- 
ment as brigadier general in the 
Confederate service. After the war, 
Leventhorpe resumed his business 
career in the South. 

September 3, 1835, in Rocky Mount, 
North Carolina. Upon graduation from 
the University of North Carolina, he 
became a school teacher and 
government surveyor; and from 1858 
to 1861 he had a part in the construc- 
tion of the Wilmington and Weldon 
Railroad. He was in the Bethel 
Regiment early in the war and was 
later elected major of the Thirty-third 
North Carolina. In April, 1862, he 
became lieutenant colonel of the 
F'brty-third North Carolina. He was at 
Gettysburg and Petersburg, and on 
May 31, 1864, was commissioned 

brigadier "general. On the retreat 
toward Appomatto.x in 1865, he was 
wounded and captured. After his 
parole, he returned to North Carolina 
and for some thirteen years was State 
Engineer. He died January 7, 1901. 


of North Carolina's most outstanding 
soldiers, was born in Edgecombe 
County, February 6, 1834. He 
attended West Point, from which he ^ 
was graduated in 1854, and served 
in the U.S. Army until 1861 

Resigning to join the Confederate 
service, he was commissioned 
captain of C.S.A. Artillery and took 
charge of recruiting in Baltimore. In 
May, 1861, he was elected colonel 
of the Thirteenth North Carolina 
Regiment. He later transferred to the 
Sixth Regim.ent and after Seven Pines 
was commissioned a brigadier 
general. After the wounding of A. P. 
Hill at Chancellorsville, Pender 
assumed temporary command of the 
famous Light Division and sub- 
sequently was promoted major 
general. On the second day at 
Gettysburg, General Pender, who 
commanded a division, received a 
severe leg wound. Evacuated to 


Staunton, Virginia, he died on July 
18 after an amputation. His body 
lies in the Calvary churchyard at 
Tarboro, North Carolina. Pender 
County was named in his honor. 


born July 4, 1828, was a native of 
Tyrrell County and spent his early 
youth ^t "Bonvara," the family 
estate. Graduating from the Uni- 
versity of North Carolina with a 
brilliant scholastic record, Pettigrew 
became an assistant at the National 
Observatory in Washington, D.C. 
Subsequently he studied at Heidel- 

berg, Germany, and traveled in 
Europe. He returned home to study 
law and went into partnership with 
his uncle in Charleston, South 
Carolina. After a period in the South 
Carolina Legislature, Pettigrew took 
a part in the reorganization of the 
state militia. When war broke out, he 
enlisted as a private in Hampton's 
Legion and later became colonel of 
the Twelfth North Carolina Regiment 
He was promoted brigadier general 
and was wounded and captured at 
Seven Pines. Exchanged two months 
later, he took command of Heth's 
Division at Gettysburg and led them 
in the assault on Cemetery Ridge. 
He was mortally wounded at Palling 
Waters on the night of July 13-14 and 
died on July 17, 1863. 


born at Lincolnton, North Carolina, 
May 31, 1837. He attended Davidson 
College but left to accept an appoint- 
ment to West Point, from which he 
graduated in 1860. On April 6, 1861, 
Ramseur resigned from the U.S. Army 
to enter the service of the Con- 
federacy. Beginning his career as 
captain of the Ellis Light Infantry, 
he later was elected colonel of the 
Forty-ninth North Carolina. He took 
part in the Peninsula Campaign and 
was successively promoted major 
and colonel. Commissioned brigadier 
general on November 1, 1862, he took 
the .field at Chancellorsville and 
was wounded. The day after his 
twenty-seventh birthday he was 
tiromoted major general, becoming 

the youngest West Pointer to attain 
that rank in the Confederate army. 
He participated in battles at Gettys- 
burg, The Wilderness, Winchester and 
Cedar Creek. In the latter named 
battle, on October 19, 1864, he was 
wounded and captured. Taken to 
Sheridan's headquarters, he died 
there the following day. 

Reidsville in November, 1827, was a 
lawyer, legislator and congressman 


before becoming captain of Company 
H, Thirteenth North Carolina 
Regiment. Promoted colonel in 
October, 1861, he led the Regiment 
at Yorktown, Williamsburg, in the 
Seven Days and at Fredericksburg. 
At Chancellorsville he was wounded. 
Promoted brigadier general, he 
commanded Pender's Brigade at 
Gettysburg and was severely 
wounded at Seminary Ridge on the 
first day. He was in the Battle of 
the Wilderness and at the Peters- 
burg siege After the war. Scales 
continued his law practice in 
Greensboro and his political career. 

He served in the state legislature 
and in Congress. In 1885 he was 
elected Governor of North Carolina 
and held the office for four years. 
He died in February, 1892. 


born in Morganton, North Carolina, 
September 8, 1830. After spending 
the early part of his youth in Phila- 
delphia, he returned to his native 
state in the early fifties. Before 

the war Tate was associated with 
Charles F. Fisher in the building of 
the Western North Carolina Railroad 
and served as a member of the Board 
of Directors. When Fisher was elected 
colonel of the newly organized Sixth 
Regiment, Tate served under him as 
captain. He was with the Regiment at 
Manassas, where Fisher was killed, 
Seven Pines, Gaines' Mill, and Second 
Manassas. After the last named battle 
Tate was promoted major. As a 
lieutenant colonel at Gettysburg he 
commanded the Sixth Regiment, Tate 
was wounded three times-cat Rap- 
pahannock Bridge, Cedar Creek and at 
Fort Stedman. After the war he was 
extremely active in the affairs of the 
Western North Carolina Railroad, 
serving as president until 1868. For 
six years he was a member of the state 
legislature, and in 1886 he was 
appointed a district examiner of 
national banks. He later served as 
North Carolina State Treasurer. He 
died suddenly at his home on June 25 




On July 4, 1863, it retreated back to 



McLaws' Division - Maj. Gen. Lafayette McLaws 

Capt. B.C. Manly - Company A, First Regiment 
North Carolina Artillery, reached Gettysburg on 
July 2, 1863, at about 2:00 p.m. The Company, 
which was attached to Cabell's Battalion, was 
engaged in an artillery duel on July 2 with the 
Union guns at the Peach Orchard- On the third 
day a section of Napoleons was engaged in an 
artillery duel. During the night of July 3, the 
Company withdrew and went to Hagerstown. 

Hood's Division - Maj. Gen. John B. Hood 


LIGHT ARTILLERY - Capt. A.C. Latham - Known 
as the "Branch Artillery" or "Latham's Bat- 
tery," Company F was engaged July 1-3 at 
Gettysburg. Its position was at the right of 
Hood's Division on July 2 and 3. 

Capt. James Reilly - Company D was engaged 
on the extreme right of the line on the second 
day at Gettysburg and on July 3 was in the same 

•compiled from material in Walter Clark's (ed.) 
Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from 
North Carolina in the Great War, 1861-'65 (5 vols.; 
Goldsboro, N.C: Nash Brothers, Book and Job Printers, 

Early's Division - Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early 
Hoke's Brigade - Col. Isaac E. Avery 

McDowell Tate - On the evening of the second 
day at Gettysburg, the Sixth Regiment stormed 
Cemetery Hill and, with Hays' Louisiana Tigers, 
succeeded in taking the Federal position. 
However, they were too weak to hold it against 
counterattack and, lacking support, were forced 
back. On the third day the Regiment remained 
in line along the southern edge of town and on 
the fourth was in line along Seminary Ridge. 

William W. Kirkland - The Regiment was conspic- 
uous in the first day's action where it assisted 
in driving the enemy through the town. In the 
assault on Cemetery Hill on July 2, four out of 
five of the color bearers were killed. All the 
field officers of the Twenty-first were killed and 
wounded except Col. Kirkland, who subsequently 
was promoted brigadier general. The Regiment 
was not engaged July 3. 

Archibald C. Godwin - The Fifty-seventh was 
engaged throughout July 1 on the extreme left of 
Early''s Division. It took part in the assault on.. 


Cemetery Hill on July 2, after which it was 
engaged no further. The unit was in the rear of 
the army on the march to the Potomac. 

Johnson's Division - Maj. Gen. Edward Johnfrin 
Steuart's Brigade - Brig. Gen. George H Steuatt 

Brown -The First Regiment arrived in Gettysburg 
too late on July 1 to participate in the battle of 
that day. On the 2-nd, however, the Regiment 
helped capture the Federal works at the south- 
east base of Culp's Hill. On the morning of the 
3rd, the First was engaged in the furious fighting 
which raged for seven hours about the base of 
Culp's Hill. At the close of the action, it retired 
to its original positiun. 

Parsley - Arriving in Gettysburg at about 7:30 
p.m. on July 1, the Third North Carolina, with 
Steuart's Brigade, formed a line of battle which 
nearly encircled the town. On July 2 the Regi- 
ment was deployed to the right of the Brigade, 
connecting with the left of Nicholls' Louisiana 
Brigade. It took part in the action on Culp's 
Hill on the morning of July 3. The Regiment 
suffered nearly 75% losses in the Battle of 

Rodes' Division - Maj. G^n. Robert E. Rodes 

Daniel's Brigade - Brig. Gen. Junius Daniel 

E.G. Brabble - On July 1 the Thirty-second 
Regiment was actively engaged throughout the 
afternoon. On the 2nd it was posted behind the 
Theological Seminary as part of the support to 
the batteries. On the third day the Regiment, 
with the rest of the Brigade, was ordered to 
hold an entrenchment to the northeast of Gettys- 
burg, from which position it fell back under 
orders at about 5:00 p.m. During the three days' 
fighting the Regiment lost in killed and wounded 
147 officers and men. 

Thomas S. Kenan - Upon arrival at Gettysburg on 
July 1, the Forty-third Regiment went in on the 
Confederate left. In the artillery duel on the 
2nd the Regiment supported a battery on the 
ridge just north of the Seminary buildings. On 
July 3 the Regiment was ordered to the support 
of Johnson's Division on Culp's HiU. Holding 
its position until night, Jihe Division was finally 
forced to withdraw, and the Forty-third re- 
occupi«d its first position on Seminary, Ridge. 

S.H. Boyd, Maj. John R. Winston, Capt. A.H. 
Galloway, Capt. J. A. Hopkins - The Forty-fifth 
arrived on the field at Gettysburg on the after- 
noon of July 1. It was engaged on the Confed- 
erate left on that day, and on July 2 was in 
support of artillery. On July 3 the Regiment was 
in the Culp's Hill assault. 

W.A. Owens - The Fifty-third North Carolina, 
which became a part of the Army of Northern 
Virginia after the Battle of Chancellorsville, was 


engaged on the Confederate left on July 1. It 
was assigned to various positions along the 
line of support on July 2 and participated in the 
assault on Gulp's Hill on the morning of the 3rd. 

H.L. Andrews, Capt. Van Brown - Striking out 
from Carlisle on June 30, the Second Battalion 
reached Gettysburg in time to participate in the 
action of July 1, 1863. It was not engaged on 
July 2 but took part in the attack on Culp's Hill 

on the 3rd. At Gettysburg the Battalion lost 

29 men killed and 124 wounded. 

Iverson's Brigade - Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson 

B. West, Capt. Benjamin Robinson - The Fifth 
Regiment was heavily engaged on the first day 
at Gettysburg. Its losses are listed in the 
Official Records as 31 killed and 112 wounded. 

W.S. Davis - The Twelfth Regiment was actively 
engaged in the first day's action at Gettysburg 
but does not appear to have taken part in the 
action on July 2 and 3. Owing to the Regiment's 
position in the Brigade, which lost over 500 
men on the first day, the Twelfth left the field 
with relatively few losses. 

Nelson Slough, Capt. Lewis T. Hicks - The 
Twentieth Regiment participated in all three 
days of the Battle of Gettysburg. In the fighting 
of the first, nearly 220 of the Regiment were 
captured with the colors A number of the men 

were later recaptured by Capt. Galloway of the 
Forty-fifth North Carolina. 

D.H. Christie, Capt. William K. Johnston - With 
Iverson's Brigade in its costly assault on the 
Federal brigades of Baxter and Paul, the Twenty- 
third lost heavily in the first day's action. Its 
losses, which included Col. Christie, nave 
been estimated at over 150. The few remaining 
men in the Regiment were not taken into battle 
on the following two days. 

Ramseur's Brigade - Brig. Gen. S.D. Ramseur 

Hurtt, Capt. James T. Scales - On July 1 the 
Second Regiment helped capture the Union 
position on Oak Hill. It also assisted in driving 
the Federals through Gettysburg and was one of 
the first Confederate units to enter the town. 
The Regiment saw little action on the 2nd and 
3rd of July, being held in reserve. 

Grimes - The Fourth Regiment arrived at Gettys- 
burg at about 3:00 p.m., July 1, and was on the 
left of the Brigade as it drove the enemy through 
the town. The Fourth claimed to have been the 
first regiment to enter the town of Gettysburg. 

R. Tyler Bennett, Maj. Joseph H. Lambeth - When 
the dislodged Federals were ' being driven 
through Gettysburg on July 1, the Fourteenth 
Regiment, with the Second, Fourth and Thirtieth, 
penetrated the town from the northwest and 
drove the enemy to the protection of Cemetery 

Ridge. On the second day the Regiment occupied 
a road on the outskirts of town and took no part 
either in that or in the following day's action. 

Francis M. Parker, Maj. W.W. Sillers - In moving 
to the field of Gettysburg, the Thirtieth Regi- 
ment constituted the rearguard of Rodes' Divi- 
sioiT train. It arrived on the field in the after- 
noon of the first day and fought on the left of 
Rodes' line, driving the enemy through the 
town. On the second and third days, Ramseur's 
Brigade, of which the Thirtieth formed a part, 
was not seriously engaged. 


Heth's Division - Maj. Gen. Henry Heth 
Pettigrew's Brigade - Brig. Gen. Johnston Pettigrew 

Collett Leventhorpe - The Eleventh Regiment 
saw action mainly in North Carolina prior to May, 
1863. Assigned in June of that year to Heth's 
Division, the Regiment served there at Gettys- 
burg where it participated in the first and third 
day's action. Company A, which crossed the 
Potomac with 100 men, came out of the charge 
on Cemetery Ridge with a lieutenant and 8 men. 

Henry K. Burgwyn, Capt. H.C. Albright - The 
celebrated Twenty-sixth Regiment tooK an 

active part in the action of July 1, 1863, where 
it engaged the famous Iron Brigade, particularly 
the Twenty-fourth Michigan, in McPherson's 
Woods. Subsequently, the Regiment bivouacked 
and did not take part in the battle of July 2. It 
was with Pettigrew in the charge on the 3rd. The 
first day the Regiment went in with 800 men and 
came out with 216 unhurt. Every man in Company 
F was either killed or wounded. On July 3 
approximately 80 of the remaining men and 
officers returned from the Cemetery Ridge 

G.H. Faribault - The Forty-seventh arrived in 
Gettysburg in time to participate in the opening 
phases of the battle of July 1. It was engaged 
throughout the first day but was inactive on 
July 2. On the third day it took part in the 
charge on Cemetery Ridge. 

J.K. Marshall, Lt. Col. Marcus A. Parks - The 
Fifty-second Regiment was actively engaged 
in the first and third day's action at Gettysburg. 
It took part in the charge on July 3. Its total 
losses in both engagements were 33 killed, 114 
wounded and 169 missing. 

Davis' Brigade - Brig. Gen. Joseph R. Davis 

J.K. Connally - Active throughout the first day 
at Gettysburg, the Fifty-fifth lost many of its 
number when they entered the unfinished rail- 
road cut. On the 2nd of July the Regiment rested, 
and on the 3rd it took part in the charge. All 


the field officers and all the captains in the 
Fifty-fifth were either killed, wounded or 
captured at Gettysburg. 

Pender's Division- Maj. Gen. W. Dorsey Pender 
Lane's Brigade - Brig. Gen. James H. Lane 

McLeod Turner, Capt. James G. Harris - On the 
first day at Gettysburg the Seventh Regiment 
covered the right of the Brigade as it advanced 
to watch the movement of enemy cavalry. It 
subsequently joined the Brigade at Seminary 
Ridge. Inactive on July 2, the Seventh took 
part in the charge on July 3, where it lost 17 
killed, 84 wounded and 41 missing. 

John D. Barry - Active in all three days of the 
Battle of Gettysburg, the Eighteenth took part 
in supporting Heth's Division and later was in 
the front line on July 1. On July 2 the Regiment 
was sent to support a battery near the Theolog- 
ical College but was again with Lane's Brigade 
in its advance in the evening. On the third day 
the Eighteenth took part in the charge. 

Having fought with Lane's Brigade on July 1, 
the Twenty-eighth was not actively engaged 
during the second day's action, though under 
heavy artillery fire several times. On July 3 
the Twenty-eighth performed valiantly in the 
charge upon Cemetery Ridge and was the "last 

command to leave the field." Its losses were 
12 killed and 92 wounded. 

Clark M. Avery - Advancing towards Gettysburg 
on July 1, the Thirty-third came upon the enemy 
in force and engaged him in battle at about 
4:00 p.m. Though exposed to shelling on July 2, 
the Regiment was not actively engaged. In the 
charge on the 3rd the Regiment was on the left 
of Lane's Brigade, which formed the left of the 
supporting line. During that action the Regiment 
lost 10 killed and 53 wounded. 

Col. W.M. Barbour - Arriving on the Gettysburg 
battlefield on the morning of .July 1, the Regi- 
ment formed a line in the rear of Heth's Division 
and helped secure Seminary Ridge. IJnder 
severe artillery fire, the Thirty-seventh held 
the Seminary Ridge position throughout the 
second day. On July 3 it took part in the charge 
under General Trimble. 

Scales' Brigade - Brig. Gen. A.M. Scales 

(led by Col. If. Lee J. Lou rauce 
/■« Cemetery Ridge assault) 

J.H. Hyman, Lt. Col. H.A. Rogers - In the 
assault on the Seminary on July 1 the Thirteenth 
Regiment lost in killed and wounded 150 men, 

having entered the field with 180. On July 2, 
15 men returned to the Regiment from outpost 
duty. In the third day's action the Regiment was 
in the supporting line under command of a 
second lieutenant. He was wounded, leaving 


only 44 men in the ranks. In the charge 23 more, 
men were killed or vrounded, leaving 21. half 
of whom were captured in the retreat from 

L.W. Stowe - In the three- day Battle of Gettys- 
burg the Sixteenth Regiment lost 75 men killed 
and wounded. The Regiment took part in the 
charge on July 3. 

James Conner - The Twenty-second Regiment, 
whose first colonel was the famed Johnston 
Pettigrew, took part in all three days of the 
Battle of Gettysburg. It supported Heth's 
Division in the charge on Cemetery Ridge. 

William Lee J. Lowrance, Lt. Col. G.T. Gordon - 
The Thirty-fourth took part in the first day's 
action and in the Cemetery Ridge assault. At 
the Falling Water pontoon bridge, the Regiment 
was among the last to cross the Potomac. 

W.J. Hoke, Lt. Col. John Ashford - In the action 
of the first day, the Thirty-eighth lost approx- 
imately 100 men killed, wounded and captured. 
It was inactive on the second day but took part 
in the charge on the third. After the third 
day's battle the Regiment had some 40 men, 
commanded by a first lieutenant. 

Capt. Joseph Graham - Company C of the First 
Regiment N.C. Artillery joined Lee's army two 
miles from Winchester, Virginia, and was there 
attached to Pogue's Battalion. It arrived at 
Cashtown June 30, 1863, and on July 1 reached 

Gettysburg. The Company was actively engaged 
throughout the first day on Hill's front, and on 
July 4 retired toward Maryland with the army. 

Stuart's Cavalry Division - Maj. Gen. James Ewell 
Brown Stuart 

Wade Hampton's Brigade 

(commanded by Col. L.S. Baker after Hampton's 
wounding July 2) 

Baker - The First Regiment N.C. Cavalry took 
part in Stuart's movements from Culpeper to 
Gettysburg, It penetrated the enemy's territory 
as far as Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where it 
burned the Federal barracks. On July 2 it 
joined Lee at Gettysburg and on the 3rd was 
engaged at Hanover. 

Beverly M. Robertson's Brigade 

Ferrebee - The Fourth Regiment N.C. Cavalry; 
was in Chambersburg on July 1 but that night 
moved in the direction of Carlisle. Turning to 
the right, it then headed toward Gettysburg, 
arriving there on the morning of the 3rd. On the 
3rd it was engaged near Fairfield and on the 
4th was with the Brigade to guard wagon trains 
moving toward Williamsport. 

Regiment reached the field of Gettysburg early 
in the morning of July 3 and was engaged at 


Fairfield during the afternoon of that day. It 
took part in covering the wagons on Lee's 
retreat to Virginia. 

W.F.H. ("Rooney") Lee's Brigade - 
John Chambliss, Jr. 

Cavalry took part in the movements of Stuart 
from Culpeper to Carlisle and was engaged at 
Hanover on July 3. 



NOV 16 1)95 


^ V"-^ — I 0'\ 1 




"'-'""'" "'i